My favorite month of the year at Ray’s:
I am fairly new to the Seattle area and have not had the opportunity to experience Ray’s during every season. However the first time I visited Ray’s as a customer was April. It was a beautiful day, one of those first warmish days in the Northwest where everyone seems to be off work in the middle of the week. We sat outside upstairs, the view was gorgeous, the atmosphere perfect and I couldn’t have imagined a more perfect place for an afternoon lunch.
When I’m not at Ray’s, I’m probably:
On the golf course or somewhere very near to water. I like to explore the surrounding islands with friends or take a long hike.
The best job I ever had was:
The first job I ever had. I was 14 and worked for a gentlemen who ran a Jewish deli in Portland, OR. On the weekends we would go to the Saturday market and sell Kosher hot dogs from a New York style hot dog cart. We also sold hand-made knish filled with potato and broccoli. It was my true first exposure to food and the preparation of it (outside of my mother’s kitchen). It was new and exciting and at 14 I could eat all the Hebrew Nationals I wanted….
The coolest place I’ve ever lived:
The island of Maui. I love the water and the weather. The people on the island are the best and I made some of the greatest connections of my life there.
One thing you really need to know about Ray’s:
I have discovered that Ray’s is more than a restaurant, it’s a community. People have passion for this place and it shows, from the staff to the guests.
If I could be a kid again for one day, I would spend it:
With my family and friends at our beach house in Cannon Beach, OR. Playing in the waves of the Pacific and at the shoreline for some drip castles. The water is far too cold for me now.
- I began my career at 21 working at the then-newly opened Widmer Brothers Brewing Company.
- I worked as the lead cook for the “Restaurant of the Year 1996” Assaggio in Portland OR, where I found my love for Italian cuisine.
- I was featured as one of Portland’s “Best Young Chefs” by Portland Monthly, as Chef de Cuisine at Tabla Mediterranean Bistro in Portland.
- I moved to Maui in 2008 to try my hand at the corporate side of the restaurant industry, serving as Chef of the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in Lahaina. From there I moved to the fine dining restaurant at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua .
- Prior to Ray’s, I was Head Chef of the Hi-Life in Ballard.